Sauer’s Apple Cake
Sauer's Apple Cake
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. Sauer's Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Peel and chop apples and immediately sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration of fruit.
2. In a medium bowl, combine apples and black walnuts; set aside.
3. Sift together the flour, apple pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla until smooth in texture. Add dry ingredients; fold in apple-nut mixture.
5. Spoon into a greased 10-inch tube pan. Bake in a preheated slow oven (300°F) for 1½ hours or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes; remove from pan and turn out onto wax paper or aluminum foil.
7. Evenly spread cool glaze over slightly warm cake.
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan; stir over low heat until mixture comes to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Allow glaze to cool.