Roast Turkey with Homemade Brine
- Prep Time: 1 hour, plus 12 hours refrigeration time
- Cook Time: 2½-3 hours
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1. Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil on stovetop. Add salt, sugar, spices and herbs stirring until salt dissolves. Cool and chill mixture.
2. Combine cooled mixture with remaining water in a clean, large bucket, cooler or brining bag. Add turkey to brine. Keep refrigerated or on ice for 10-12 hours.
3. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place turkey on rack in large roasting pan. Place cut vegetables inside turkey cavity. Rub butter over turkey.
4. Place turkey in oven. Reduce temperature to 325°F. Roast turkey until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh and breast registers 165°F, about 2 ½ to 3 hours.
5. Transfer turkey to platter; tent with foil. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before carving.