Grilled Butterflied Chicken
- 3 quarts natural charcoal
- Glass jar or other container with lid
- Poultry shears or a large boning knife
- Roasting pan
- 2 bricks, wrapped with aluminum foil
1. Prepare a medium-hot grill using about 3 quarts natural chunk charcoal.
2. Mix the salt and all the herb and spice ingredients together in a jar or container with a perforated lid.
3. Wash the chicken, removing the giblets and pat dry. Carefully remove the bones from the chicken using poultry shears or a large boning knife. Remove the breast bone and press the bird flat like a butterfly.
4. Liberally rub both sides of the chicken with canola oil, then sprinkle with spices.
5. Place chicken, skin side down, directly over coals. Place a roasting pan on top of chicken and weigh down with 2 bricks.
6. Grill until brown and deeply marked for about 12 minutes. Turn the chicken over, re-weigh, and allow to cook another 15 minutes until chicken is just done.
7. Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes.