Apple Hand Pies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Sauer’s Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. water
1. Combine apples, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are soft and liquid has thickened to a syrup-like consistency.
3. Roll out puff pastry to a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Cut in half, then cut each half into 4 even-sized rectangles for a total of 8 rectangles.
4. Divide apple filling between 4 of the puff pastry pieces, leaving a half inch border around the filling. Using a pastry brush or finger, brush water onto borders of pastry then top with remaining pieces of pastry. Using a fork, crimp the edges together.
5. Whisk together egg and 2 tsp. water in a small dish, brush lightly over filled pies. Make 3 slits in top of each pie.
6. Transfer pies to a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.